Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Old School

     As those of you who follow my blog regularly know, I believe in the old school - the very old school!  I believe that horse shows are about horses and that horsemanship is paramount. 
     The concept of showing horses was not developed simply for people to have a good time or even for competition as an end unto itself.  Horseshows were developed to further the breed, whatever breed you may choose to promote.  Shows were developed as a way of displaying the talent in horses and along with them - their riders.
     Sometimes I worry that we've lost the basic concept altogther though.  Yes, I like to have fun and I most certainly have lots of friends on the show circuit, people I'm always happy to see.  And yes, I like to win too, but we must be careful not to forget why we are really competing.  It truly is not about us and shouldn't just be for our recreation, it must be about the HORSES.
     Horsemanship in all aspect has been developed over thousands of years and we are a part of that development, part of a continuing stream of advancement.  You and I are an important part of this as we show our horses and promote their talents and abilities, and as we breed to improve the next generation. 
     Always appreciate your time with your horse, always give him the best care you can and, work on your own horsemanship so you can fully develop his talents and abilities - in or away from the show arena!  Talk to you next week, JD.

No comments:

Post a Comment