Monday, December 26, 2011

New Students

     A while back a nice young woman asked me to teach her to ride in Trail classes and of course I happily said yes.  I really get excited about bringing new people into this part of showing horses.
     She has made much progress which delights all of us in the barn (as there is always a lot of camaraderie among people riding Trail horses!).   But, she and her horse still have much work to do before they are ready for their first show.  As she and I were discussing this, I was struck by her joyful anticipation of the work yet to be accomplished.
     My student started this goal thinking it would be much easier and quicker to learn than it actually is.  But, now confronted with the work still to be done, she is truly excited to be working towards a goal that will give her more satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment.  She is not daunted by the road ahead, instead she joyfully welcomes it.  What great life lessons can be learned in pursuit of great horsemanship!   I wish everyone had the opportunity to have this experience.  I think they would all be better for it. 
     Happy New Year - see you next week! JD

No comments:

Post a Comment