Sunday, June 9, 2013

Miss Tizzy Fit

     Without good horses, no one stays in this business for very long so I like to look back and pay homage to some of my favorites from time to time.  Miss Tizzy Fit was one of my earliest successes and boy did we have fun showing her!
     I found Tizzy for a client at a Paint horse sale in Madras, Oregon.  She was 4 years old and well started, she had been to a couple of schooling shows but that was about it.  This little mare was well bred on the stallion side but nothing to speak of on her dam's side.
     Anyway, I hauled her home and worked with her all through that late Fall, Winter and the early Spring.  When we took her to her first show she beat two National Champions in Western Pleasure and the rest of her show career was just like that. 
     We showed her in youth and open classes and she did mostly Western Pleasure but also lots of Showmanship, some Trail, Horsemanship and Equitation classes  - even some Hunter.  Often Tizzy took the high point award.  She was Western Pleasure circuit champion several times over and won many, many year-end awards.  We showed her all over the northwest - in Washington state, British Columbia, Oregon and Idaho. Tizzy was the right horse at the right time.  She was what the judges were looking for, which I think is a very important point as styles change and so do our thoughts on how a horse should look and move.
     I really owe this mare a lot because she gave me confidence in my training program and helped make my reputation.  What more can you ask of a horse?  I will never forget Miss Tizzy Fit, may she rest in peace.  See you next week, JD.   

No comments:

Post a Comment