Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Time

     I don't know how all of my many readers think of Christmas but I thought I'd tell you some of my thoughts.
     Sure, I like the tree, the holly, love the food, and just have to make some homemade eggnog every year!  Just like most of you, I like the traditions surrounding Christmas.  Being around loved ones is such an important part of the holiday season for me.  I don't just mean family but also my many friends and people that I care about.
     Those of you who know me well know I am not a church-goer but Christmas to me is a celebration of Christ.  And, this means the sermon on the mount and the other teachings of Christ.  I think about Christ telling the people who would stone a woman, that he who had not sinned could cast the first stone.  I remember Christ's forgiveness and his acceptance of those who were different.  I think of his love for all.  I remember his kindness and tenderness towards Mary Magdalene and mankind.
     The world is full of so much hate and distrust, filled with many people who have malice in their hearts.  I am reminded of the words to the song "... and goodwill towards all men...".  Wouldn't it be great if we were to say that all year long?
     The horse world is just a reflection of the world around us.  So often there is unkindness in words and deeds.  Often we as an industry forget why we started with horses.  Most of us wanted a career in horses because we just loved horses.  Maybe if we thought about the "true" meaning of Christmas, we would remember that horses were our first love, not just a means to an end. 
     I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a peaceful and prosperous New Year!  See you next week, JD.

No comments:

Post a Comment